Welcome to Mobile Atlas Creator
Mobile Atlas Creator (formerly known as TrekBuddy Atlas Creator) is an open source (GPL) program which creates offline atlases for GPS handhelds and cell phone applications like TrekBuddy, AndNav and other Android and WindowsCE based applications. For the full list of supported applications please see the features section. Additionally individual maps can be exported as one large PNG image with calibration MAP file for OziExplorer. As source for an offline atlas Mobile Atlas Creator can use a large number of different online maps such as OpenStreetMap and other online map providers.
You will notice that the list of map sources is not very long - especially compared to older versions of MOBAC. This is because a large number of map sources had to be removed in April 2011 (MOBAC 1.9 beta 2). The details are explained in the forum.
- Create offline atlases for a large number of different (mobile) applications and GPS handhelds:
- AFTrack (Symbian)
- AlpineQuest (Android)
- AndNav (Android)
- BackCountry Navigator (Android)
- Big Planet Tracks SQLite format (Android)
- CacheBox (Windows Mobile)
- Galileo Offline Maps (iOS)
- Garmin Custom Map - KMZ (GPS handhelds)
- Glopus (Pocket PC)
- Google Earth
- GPS Sport Tracker
- Magellan RMP (GPS handhelds) & VantagePoint
- Maplorer (Windows CE/Windows Mobile)
- Maverick (Android)
- Mobile Trail Explorer (J2ME) - single tiles and MTECache file
- NaviComputer (Windows Mobile)
- nfComPass (WinCE, WinMobile, WinXP)
- OruxMaps (Android)
- Osmdroid (Android)
- OSMtracker (Windows Mobile/Pocket PC)
- OziExplorer (single 24bit PNG image with calibration (MAP) file
- PathAway (Windows Mobile)
- RMaps SQLite (Android)
- [Nokia] Sports Tracker
- Touratech QV (Windows software, commercial)
- TrekBuddy (J2ME, Android)
- TwoNav / CompeGPS
- and others
- Prepare atlases consisting of multiple layers, different map sources map resolutions (zoom levels)...
- Save and load your favorite atlas compilation as profile to/from file
- Merge different layers using Drag & Drop
- Create map tiles using custom size and image format (PNG/JPG)
- Fast download of map tiles using simultaneous multithreaded download (number of threads configurable)
- Downloaded tiles are cached locally - avoids multiple downloads of same map tiles
- Download only updated tiles - use locally cached tiles otherwise
- Full support for network connections via HTTP proxy
Mobile Atlas Creator is written in Java and runs therefore on a large number of platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X,... As a Java program Mobile Atlas Creator requires Java Runtime Environment Version 6 Update 14 (v1.6.0_14) or higher installed on your computer. Additionally a high-speed internet connection is required as long as Mobile Atlas Creator is running.
By default Mobile Atlas Creator uses up to 512 of RAM. Additionally free disk space is required: Downloaded tiles are cached in the system temp directory and addionally tiles are cached in the tile store (local database).
For reducing the color depth of downloaded tiles the library files of the "Java Advanced Imaging" (JAI) have to be present on the system respectively in the same directory as Mobile_Atlas_Creator.jar. The easiest way is to download the latest ready to use binary build of Java Advanced Imaging version 1.1.3.
Latest stable version: 1.9.12 (universal binary for Windows, Linux, OSX,..)
The latest stable version of Mobile Atlas Creator in binary and source form can be downloaded in the
download area of Mobile Atlas Creator on SourceForge.
For details about recent changes see the latest Changelog. Additionally the latest README.HTM is available online.
Unstable and test versions like Mobile Atlas Creator preview versions can be downloaded from the section Alpha and experimental.
There is a nice Quick Start Manual showing all necessary steps starting with the download of MOBAC, hot to start MOBAC up to the first created atlas.
You can contact the MOBAC community using the project's forums on SourceForge.net.
Mobile Atlas creator supports a number of map sources:
- OpenStreetMap Mapnik
- OpenStreetMap Osmarenderer
- OpenStreetMap Public Transport
- OpenStreetMap Hiking
- Turaterkep (Hungary)
- Freemap Slovakia
- Freemap Slovakia (Car/Cycling/Hiking)
- Moldova (point.md)
- OSMapa-Topo (Poland)
- New Zealand Topographic Maps
- USGS National Maps (US)
- Chartbundle Aviation Charts (US)