Unfortunately SourceForge dropps the E-Mail support for all project websites on June 26, 2017 (which includes this forum).

E-Mail is required for registration, password-reset and notifications - therefore after this date the creation of new accounts will no longer be possible.

Latest Trunk 2361 has assive problems with Mapsforge maps

For discussions, questions and problems using MOBAC
mbe57

Latest Trunk 2361 has assive problems with Mapsforge maps

Postby mbe57 » 28 Jul 2017, 12:42

Hi all,
the generated maps have clearly visible "columns", where the border areas are missing the place labels left and right, sometimes also bottom and top.
Why is that ?
I wanted to upload a screenshot, but missed to find the button ...
TXs and cheers
Michael

mbe57

Re: Latest Trunk 2361 has assive problems with Mapsforge maps

Postby mbe57 » 28 Jul 2017, 12:47

... massive problems ...

visible in the interactive pane of MOBAC, as well as in the generated map.

r_x
Site Admin

Postby r_x » 28 Jul 2017, 16:08

Well that is not unusual. All mapsforge versions after 0.5,? had more ore less label rendering problems. The mapsforge developers never managed to fix it, therefore they changed the whole label rendering concept so that it now has been designed for map-displaying apps only (labels are not applied to map tiles but to the whole visible map).
However MOBAC requires to have map tiles with labels and has to use the old defect label rendering process.

From what I remember the answer of the mapsforge developers was that the old label rendering will not be fixed as the new one works for the use-cases they see for mapsforge.

Addendum: Have you seen the label rendering errors in the preview pane or in a created atlas. Both may vary for mapsforge based maps.
Please read the MOBAC FAQ and MOBAC README before posting.

mbe57

Postby mbe57 » 30 Jul 2017, 09:50

In preview and created atlas, both.
I compared the https://github.com/mapsforge/mapsforge/ ... 5c55fd8bba code with MOBAC MapsforgeMapSource module, and they pretty much match.
Where -and how - would MF Apps put the background tile and the Label layer together for the user view ? and can this be mimicked by MOBAC ?

r_x
Site Admin

Postby r_x » 30 Jul 2017, 21:28

The old way for an MF app was to paint the labels directly onto the map tiles. For avoiding label problems they use the cache (don't ask me which there are now two or three of them). When rendering the labels of a tiles the ask the cache which tiles around the tile-to-be rendered already exist and therefore have to be considered regarding incomplete labels. In this scenario the algorithm has problems when the tiles are not rendered in a specific order (don't know which one).

The common (current) way for a MF app is to put everything only on-screen together:

1. In the background the map tiles layer consiting of tiles without labels (e.g. 256x256 of size)
2. The LabelLayer which does not work tiled - instead it is of the size of the screen (no tiles -> no cut labels at tile edges).

The problem is that MOBAC is designed to handle maps that existed "tiled" - and the "tile provider" which download or render the tiles in MOBAC don't know wnything about the map or it's size. Furthermore we don't have a screen when creating an atlas - or if we take the map as "screen", we would have to paint an image as large as the selected map layer (which can be pretty large - larger than the available amount of RAM). As I wrote MOBAC handles only tiles at the moment - handling something like a LabelLayer which has to be rendered and the cut into tiles would require massive changes on all layers of MOBAC.

As it is of limited use and requires much work I am not planning to start implementing such a change.

mbe57

Postby mbe57 » 02 Aug 2017, 20:05

I understand. The alternative is to fix the MF lib; I found the area in MF where the neighborhood assessment is happening, but I do not have the gradle mechanics at hand. Is there an easy way to compile the MF lib with ant ? I only need the the jar that MOBAC uses, with meaningful logging (which I will put in); no need for all the Android and other stuff ...

r_x
Site Admin

Postby r_x » 05 Aug 2017, 12:07

To run gradle much simpler than Apache-ant as gradle contains the self-deploying scripts "gradlew". Just execute "gradlew.bat" respectively "./gradlew" and it will download everything automatically.
Afterwards you can execute

Code: Select all

gradlew assemble

mbe57

Postby mbe57 » 06 Aug 2017, 15:58

Thank you for your advise! Will try. next week.

Return to “Mobile Atlas Creator (English)”