Unfortunately SourceForge dropps the E-Mail support for all project websites on June 26, 2017 (which includes this forum).

E-Mail is required for registration, password-reset and notifications - therefore after this date the creation of new accounts will no longer be possible.

Where are all the map sources gone?

For discussions, questions and problems using MOBAC
r_x
Site Admin

Where are all the map sources gone?

Postby r_x » 25 Jun 2011, 14:23

Hi MOBAC users.

On 2011-04-06 a big change had to applied to MOBAC:

During the weeks before that date more and more map source provider and other related "geo data agencies" (as I would call them) demand to remove this or that map source and/or region from MOBAC.
As I am not in a mood to answer and process their (sometimes very friendly and sometimes a bit harsh) mails on a daily basis I decided to remove all map sources that are not basing on OpenStreetMap data. Those changes apply to all versions starting with v1.9 beta 2. Older versions has been removed.
However I will re-add them if I get a positive response (acceptance) from the map provider - but I will not actively ask the map provider myself because there are too many of them. I will keep on focus my self on the programming part of MOBAC.

If you are missing your favorite map source it is up to you to get into contact with the map provider and get the required acceptance.

The following map sources has been removed:
    Google Maps, Map Maker, Terrain, Earth and Hybrid
    Yahoo
    Microsoft/Bing Maps, Virtual Earth, Hybrid and China
    Ovi/Nokia Maps
    Bergfex (Austria)
    AustrianMap.at
    Multimap.com
    Cykloatlas
    Terraserver-USA
    Humbermedia Bavaria
    NearMap Australia
    StatKart Norway Topographic
    Eniro.com map/aerial/nautical

The only alternative from my point of view would be to remove all versions and and end the MOBAC project which would be not a good alternative from my point of view.

Robert - author of MOBAC

andematt

Re: Where are all the map sources gone?

Postby andematt » 29 Jun 2011, 17:13

It doesn't seem like mobac violates the MyTopo.com terms of use. Did you get a request from them? The openstreetmap cyclemap is close but it doesn't have all the trails and markings that the USGS maps do. I'm not sure I could request the API key on your behalf for mobac.

Terms of use
The MyTopo Google Maps feed is free for your use, but we do have a few conditions:
  • Contact us at support@mytopo.com and let us know you'd like to use the maps in your application. We'll issue you an API Key to begin using the tile service.
  • You can't resell the data tiles or derivative products in any way. This includes adding the data to paid subscription services, selling prints, selling digital downloads, etc. If you have specific questions or want to talk to us about commercial use, contact us at support@mytopo.com.
  • We also do not guarantee availability, performance or accuracy.
  • We require that you provide a link to MyTopo within your map application or on the same Web page. You can also earn commissions on all the referrals you send us. It's also free and easy. Check out our Partner Program for more.
  • We reserve the right to terminate the service.

Maybe the Google Maps feed is not what you were using before??
Thanks.

r_x
Site Admin

Postby r_x » 02 Jul 2011, 12:13

I assume that the "Google Maps feed" refers to a map that is displayed in a web page using the map display and movement code by Google as they use it on their homepage, after selecting the "MyTopo" map source: http://www.mytopo.com/maps/?lat=40.0370 ... 07843&z=10

Looking at the products they sell MOBAC would a a direct competitor. Therefore the chances for getting an authorization for MOBAC integration of Mytopo.com is low from my point of view. But you don't know - may be you would like to contact them and ask them on behalf of the MOBAC project?
Please read the MOBAC FAQ and MOBAC README before posting.

rolfkrohna

Postby rolfkrohna » 21 Jul 2011, 10:20

I want to see a new approach to this. Google and a few others are just becoming the new internet gangster mafia the trying same way as the classical 30's mafia to steer the development in their direction and make good money on in the process. Threats and intimidation are the prime tools.

They don't have to be reasonable, they are bigger, and they know where you live.

A very old military doctrine say, that if you spread your troops out over a big area, the enemy can not beat you. They just can't find every unit and eliminate it. Like guerrilla activity, Vietnam, or Linux, is examples. If you keep everything in one place you are vulnerable, Perl Harbor and MOBAC are examples.

Another good example is Firefox with its add-ons. Because everything is not in one place, other operators as IE and Chrome can not focus on destroying it, though they would love to.

I like to see MOBAC go in the same direction. A core program as of today that can download maps and tiles in agreement with only those who like to cooperate, BUT, designed so that anyone can create add-ons that after download and installation can enable download of Google and other tiles for instance.

After a while we would have thousands of add-ons all over the web that could be downloaded from anywhere, without references to the originator or who designed and write them.

Now there is no one point Google and their peers could attack. The core program MOBAC is perfectly acceptable and can not download Google tiles, but after a user have downloaded an addon and installed it, it would e possible to download any Google tiles.

Lets Go. What are we waiting for.

Any interest out there.

r_x
Site Admin

Postby r_x » 21 Jul 2011, 12:31

You are targeting the wrong "enemy" - Google, MS and other only buy the map data and the map data provider dictate the usage scenario. The more allowed the more you have to pay. And providing maps for everybody without limitation I assume is nearly unaffordable.

You have to consider that there are only two world-wide operating map data provider: NAVTEQ and TomTom Licensing (formerly "Tele Atlas")
Besides that there are only the only the national cartographic agencies which are also very strict regarding the licensing terms - especially those from UK, Germany and Swiss - they were the one triggering the removal of Microsoft Maps, OutdoorActive, Map+,...

Now you may understand the reasons that lead to the foundation of OpenStreetMap.

sholex24

Postby sholex24 » 25 Jul 2011, 13:22

Is it hard to change the source code so Google maps, for example, would work? Can I get any help?

r_x
Site Admin

Postby r_x » 25 Jul 2011, 14:00

You don't even need to change the source code. Maps following the OSM/Google maps tile scheme can be added as "Custom maps" via special XML files placed in the mapsources directory.

If you rally want to develop own map sources for MOBAC you should check the Map Source Development forum

For details see the readme.htm file that comes with MOBAC and the step-by-step example how to get the URL pattern in the MOBAC Wiki.

frofid

Postby frofid » 01 Aug 2011, 00:48

Hi!
Thanks for a great program!
Is it possible to re add the Norwegian maps "Topografisk norgeskart 2" and Enova maps.
According to there homepage, is it legal to use the wms service for non commercially use.
Homepage: http://www.statkart.no/?module=Articles;action=Article.publicShow;ID=14089/
The service is limited to 300-wms calls to each users ip-address, each day (24 hours).
I don't know how much this is, but I assume about 10000 titles.

If you cant re add these maps, can you please send me an xml file to add it by mapsourse folder?
I`ve tried to do it by my self, but cant get it to work! :roll:
Best regards!

r_x
Site Admin

Postby r_x » 01 Aug 2011, 16:40

How to you get from 300 WMS calls 10000 tiles?

Each tile is one WMS request and a typical map view in MOBAC on a FullHD-Display takes up to 50 tiles. Therefore the quota of tiles would be exhausted after some moving the map around and changing the zoom level - hence long before the download starts.

frofid

Postby frofid » 01 Aug 2011, 22:16

Well, I dont know! I`m not a devloper! ;)
But could you please re add this maps?

Return to “Mobile Atlas Creator (English)”