Unfortunately SourceForge dropps the E-Mail support for all project websites on June 26, 2017 (which includes this forum).

E-Mail is required for registration, password-reset and notifications - therefore after this date the creation of new accounts will no longer be possible.

Where are all the map sources gone?

For discussions, questions and problems using MOBAC
nwbrian

Re: Where are all the map sources gone?

Postby nwbrian » 17 Feb 2012, 18:04

nwbrian wrote:http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/index.html
US Topo maps are available free on the Web through the USGS Store. Each map quadrangle is constructed in PDF format with geospatial extensions (GeoPDF®) format from key layers of geographic data – orthoimagery, roads, geographic names, contours and hydrographic features
If GeoPDFs have "Interactive capabilities with Google Maps®", can they be used as an open data source for MOBAC?
r_x wrote:Not without explicit permission by the map map provider.

I can understand your reluctance to pursue map resources anymore now that after all the excellent work you put into the MOBAC project, the big corporate guns have ripped the rug out from under you and bound your hands.
http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/index.html says US Topo maps are available free on the Web through the USGS Store. THAT IS EXPLICIT PERMISSION FROM THE MAP PROVIDER. I just went to http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/ustopo_feedback.html and asked...
"Are USGS digital topo maps in GeoPDF format able to be parsed into map "tiles" for use with GPS devices for backcountry navigation? Are you aware of any resources that offer free USGS map "tiles"? Thanks"
I'll post their response when I get it.
I am not a developer so I don't know what else to ask. Can you step up to the plate now r_x?

nwbrian

Postby nwbrian » 28 Feb 2012, 20:22

nwbrian wrote:
nwbrian wrote:http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/index.html
US Topo maps are available free on the Web through the USGS Store. Each map quadrangle is constructed in PDF format with geospatial extensions (GeoPDF®) format from key layers of geographic data – orthoimagery, roads, geographic names, contours and hydrographic features
If GeoPDFs have "Interactive capabilities with Google Maps®", can they be used as an open data source for MOBAC?
r_x wrote:Not without explicit permission by the map map provider.

I can understand your reluctance to pursue map resources anymore now that after all the excellent work you put into the MOBAC project, the big corporate guns have ripped the rug out from under you and bound your hands.
http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/index.html says US Topo maps are available free on the Web through the USGS Store. THAT IS EXPLICIT PERMISSION FROM THE MAP PROVIDER. I just went to http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/ustopo_feedback.html and asked...
"Are USGS digital topo maps in GeoPDF format able to be parsed into map "tiles" for use with GPS devices for backcountry navigation? Are you aware of any resources that offer free USGS map "tiles"? Thanks"
I'll post their response when I get it.
I am not a developer so I don't know what else to ask. Can you step up to the plate now r_x?

Here is the USGS response to my question: "Are USGS digital topo maps in GeoPDF format able to be parsed into map "tiles" for use with GPS devices for backcountry navigation? Are you aware of any resources that offer free USGS map "tiles"? Thanks"
...not easily. We designed US Topo to be a traditional map product. They are derived from national GIS databases, and we did not anticipate the demand for them to be used as input to digital systems. We are considering other packaging and distribution methods, but this is not currently a high priority compared to covering the country with the base product. We are also hopeful that private companies will develop more software and derived products. We are aware of a few iPhone and iPad applications than can use GeoPDFs, but for the most part it is still difficult, expensive, or both to use US Topo in mobile devices or GIS systems.
-------------------------
Larry Moore
lmoore@usgs.gov

:cry:
Again I'm not a developer and did not know what to ask or how to go about the process of parsing the GeoPDFs into map tiles. There are products that can parse PDFs into smaller files but would not know if they would work for GeoPDFs, or how to convert the smaller files to tiles, nor how parsed USGS GeoPDFs could be used to create custom maps that might span multiple USGS maps.

It was nice while it lasted and I am glad I created and saved a library of my favorite and some bucket list backcountry fly fishing destinations. Thanks r_x for your great efforts.

However, I got Google Terrain working with the new URL posted earlier. The Terraserver-USA Maps URL briefly shows a map before it displays all Xs like the Google URL did before I changed it. It sure would be nice if someone knows a new Terraserver URL that would work and if there is a way to update MOBAC to use it.

jolly47roger

Postby jolly47roger » 01 Mar 2012, 23:28

There is a route for GEOPDFs : Use GRASTER to convert to a GEOTIFF then use a program like MAPC2MAPC to convert the GEOTIFF to z/x/y.png tiles.

Now my question : what has happened to OSMarenderer today?

nwbrian

Postby nwbrian » 20 May 2012, 15:46

I'm not a developer. Can MOBAC do this?

r_x
Site Admin

Postby r_x » 21 May 2012, 18:27

I assume you are talking about using GeoPDF and GeoTIFF files
as presented by jolly47roger.

The described process requires external tools therefore MOBAC can not
"do this" alone. But once you have complete the chain of commands and
you have the tiles in z/x/y.png format on your HDD you can use them by
MOBAC by using them as file based custom map source. See
README.HTM
Please read the MOBAC FAQ and MOBAC README before posting.

foxymtnbiker

Postby foxymtnbiker » 02 Jan 2013, 20:45

Robert,

I'm the Branch Chief for Systems Development at USGS's National Geospatial Technical Operations Center (NGTOC), and I'd like to have a conversation with you regarding our geospatial data and products, to ensure that our data sources are in a format that is usable and valuable to mobile users. I'm interested to know if you're using USGS data or products, like what's available through The National Map or our most recent USTOPO products. If not, I'd like to find out how we can make our data available in a format that would be useful for the growing number of outdoor enthusiasts that are leveraging GPS enabled phones.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience, and we'll get this conversation started!

Very Respectfully,

Brian Fox
Systems Development Branch Chief
USGS
bfox@usgs.gov

Brian F
r_x wrote:Hi MOBAC users.

On 2011-04-06 a big change had to applied to MOBAC:

During the weeks before that date more and more map source provider and other related "geo data agencies" (as I would call them) demand to remove this or that map source and/or region from MOBAC.
As I am not in a mood to answer and process their (sometimes very friendly and sometimes a bit harsh) mails on a daily basis I decided to remove all map sources that are not basing on OpenStreetMap data. Those changes apply to all versions starting with v1.9 beta 2. Older versions has been removed.
However I will re-add them if I get a positive response (acceptance) from the map provider - but I will not actively ask the map provider myself because there are too many of them. I will keep on focus my self on the programming part of MOBAC.

If you are missing your favorite map source it is up to you to get into contact with the map provider and get the required acceptance.

The following map sources has been removed:
    Google Maps, Map Maker, Terrain, Earth and Hybrid
    Yahoo
    Microsoft/Bing Maps, Virtual Earth, Hybrid and China
    Ovi/Nokia Maps
    Bergfex (Austria)
    AustrianMap.at
    Multimap.com
    Cykloatlas
    Terraserver-USA
    Humbermedia Bavaria
    NearMap Australia
    StatKart Norway Topographic
    Eniro.com map/aerial/nautical

The only alternative from my point of view would be to remove all versions and and end the MOBAC project which would be not a good alternative from my point of view.

Robert - author of MOBAC

foxymtnbiker

Postby foxymtnbiker » 05 Feb 2013, 16:15

Robert (r_x),

Thank you again for your efforts to make USGS data and services available through MOBAC! Our data looks great!

Just a reminder to all the mobile app developers out there, that if you'd like to use USGS data, it is Public domain, so it is completely legal to use in your application. If you have any (technical) questions regarding our services or the data we have available, please feel free to contact USGS's National Geospatial Technical Operations Center (NGTOC), and we can assist you. Also, let us know if you have any feedback. Some key Points of Contact include:

-Rob Dollison, Product and Service Lead for Delivery: rdollison@usgs.gov
-Rick Brown, Project Manager for Delivery: reb@usgs.gov
-and myself, Brian Fox, Systems Development Branch Chief: bfox@usgs.gov

Thank you again!

Very Respectfully,

Brian Fox
USGS
303-202-4140
bfox@usgs.gov

fdgjdtjasegafd

Postby fdgjdtjasegafd » 12 Jun 2013, 03:36

foxymtnbiker wrote:Robert (r_x),

Thank you again for your efforts to make USGS data and services available through MOBAC! Our data looks great!

Just a reminder to all the mobile app developers out there, that if you'd like to use USGS data, it is Public domain, so it is completely legal to use in your application. If you have any (technical) questions regarding our services or the data we have available, please feel free to contact USGS's National Geospatial Technical Operations Center (NGTOC), and we can assist you. Also, let us know if you have any feedback. Some key Points of Contact include:

Thank you again!

Very Respectfully,

Brian Fox
USGS
303-202-4140
bfox@usgs.gov

I have a question. How can we add the USGS Scanned Topo maps as a source to MOBAC? I find them to be superior to the National Map. Thanks.

nwbrian

Postby nwbrian » 24 Aug 2013, 20:28

fdgjdtjasegafd wrote:
foxymtnbiker wrote:Robert (r_x),

Thank you again!

Very Respectfully,

Brian Fox
USGS
303-202-4140
bfox@usgs.gov

I have a question. How can we add the USGS Scanned Topo maps as a source to MOBAC? I find them to be superior to the National Map. Thanks.
Excuse the cross post but Can anyone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me in plain layman's terms how to display the USGS National Map Viewer Other Featured Data/Scanned Topo Maps From USA Topo overlay in MOBAC 1.19 so I can make maps for ORUX again? PLEASE HELP! I would be soooooooooooo grateful!
http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/

petemiller

Postby petemiller » 30 Aug 2013, 02:27

Hi Guys,
I have similar request. Has there been any resolution with regard to this issue?
Thanks, Pete.
frofid wrote:Hi!
Thanks for a great program!
Is it possible to re add the Norwegian maps "Topografisk norgeskart 2" and Enova maps.
According to there homepage, is it legal to use the wms service for non commercially use.
Homepage: http://www.statkart.no/?module=Articles;action=Article.publicStorage;ID=14089/

The service is limited to 300-wms calls to each users ip-address, each day (24 hours).
I don't know how much this is, but I assume about 10000 titles.

If you cant re add these maps, can you please send me an xml file to add it by mapsourse folder?
I`ve tried to do it by my self, but cant get it to work! :roll:
Best regards!

Return to “Mobile Atlas Creator (English)”