Unfortunately SourceForge dropps the E-Mail support for all project websites on June 26, 2017 (which includes this forum).

E-Mail is required for registration, password-reset and notifications - therefore after this date the creation of new accounts will no longer be possible.

OziExplorer and JPG

For discussions, questions and problems using MOBAC
nik80

OziExplorer and JPG

Postby nik80 » 17 Oct 2016, 21:12

hello
new to MOBAC
successfully created some maps for oruxmaps, but now I have some difficulties
any idea how to create OziExplorer maps with JPG and MAP instead of PNG and MAP
once oziexplorer is selected the menu for image format become disabled
how to switch to JPG ?
thanks

r_x
Site Admin

Re: OziExplorer and JPG

Postby r_x » 18 Oct 2016, 07:48

I am sorry but the OziExplorer output format is a special implementation that is limited to PNG.
Please read the MOBAC FAQ and MOBAC README before posting.

nik80

Postby nik80 » 18 Oct 2016, 21:20

I did a test, manually combined 2 output formats
1. create a map with oziexporer output, where 37MB png image is created and a map file
2. delete the png image
3. create a map with google earth overlay (kmz) (for the exactly same area)
4. unzip the kmz file
5. copy the jpg image (only 4.4MB for same area) back to oziexplorer map folder
6. edit the map file to point the jpg image, and make both files with same name

a single image is working just perfect in oziexplorer created this way
so obviously the software is capable to create each, high quality jpg image and map file
but cant do it automatically, the difference in files size is significant, it is worth to have it as an option

r_x
Site Admin

Postby r_x » 19 Oct 2016, 09:10

I did not say that it is impossible, however the OziExplorer atlas creator implementation has the feature to create PNG files without any size limitations.

On the other hand the GoogleEarthOverlay is limited by the maximum amount of RAM available to MOBAC. Therefore the size of the created images is very limited. Both implementations (OziExplorer and GoogleEarthOverlay are totally different and have both their advantages and disadvantages). Furthermore both implementations can not be mixed-up.

Therefore I am not planning to change the OziExplorer atlas format nor adding another atlas format for you.
Please read the MOBAC FAQ and MOBAC README before posting.

nik80

Postby nik80 » 19 Oct 2016, 11:06

thanks for your reply
please, I didnt ask to do it just for me, I just wanted to share what I discovered as posibility and compatibility
even with some limitations it is still nice to have different options, but not just for me, no, the software is great already, I didnt ever think to request custom features added only for me for free

borealis2009

Postby borealis2009 » 20 Oct 2016, 19:05

nik80,

Creating a JPG via KMZ is quite a detour, every free picture viewer like IrfanView oder XnView or similar ones can convert PNG directly to JPG.

JPG has a severe disadvantage when used as a map file format, the amount of pixels matters, not the file size. IIRC there is a recommendation somewhere on the OziExplorer website or in Ozi's helpfiles not to use JPG files larger than 5 MB, especially on mobile devices.

Apart from that, for maximum performance of OziExplorer you should convert all maps to Ozi's own OZF format using Img2Ozf.
borealis2009

nik80

Postby nik80 » 20 Oct 2016, 21:23

thanks for your comments
the JPG is not created from KMZ, it is just taken out from it, the KMZ is just a zip archive, with a JPG image inside already created by mobac
it is true that the JPG image have its limitations, but with the sellected tile size the image was only 4.4 MB per tile, and it is working just perfect with oziexplorer, nothing noticable with pixels or other issues, so compared with 37MB PNG the used disk space is significantly lower, specially for large number of tiles
I didnt noticed even the jpg compression, no difference from PNG image, probably because the PNG image is created from compressed images and even stored in uncompressed file, the image is already distorted.
I did test img2ozf but the file for same tile become 9.5 MB for the old version ozf2 and 11.2MB for the new version ozf4 ( not sure about the last 2 numbers but still larger)

converting PNG to JPG have other problems - but this is what Im going to do in the next few days, as only left option
I will convert all PNG images to JPG and then will edit all map files to point to the converted images

Leonardo

Postby Leonardo » 01 Apr 2017, 11:18

Sorry if it's a really dumb question. I have always just used the map files from natmap etc, but I seem to remember people importing jpg files [ https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/what-is-jpg.html ] and converting them somehow. There is a guy on eBay selling three CDs of gold maps of NSW and Vic. they are all jpg and not a lot of use if I cannot put them on Ozi to see where I am on them.

Landyman

Postby Landyman » 16 Apr 2017, 21:22

nik80 wrote:any idea how to create OziExplorer maps with JPG and MAP instead of PNG and MAP

What is wrong with .PNG images. I have produced hundreds of .PNG images with MOBAC for use with OziEx and have no problems.

PNG is a file format that supports lossless data compression so potentially better than .JPG. Many of my maps from MOBAC are over 1GB.

If you must have .JPG images then use Map Merge for OziExplorer:-

<http://www.oziexplorer3.com/>

and select MapMerge in the blue panel on the left.

Return to “Mobile Atlas Creator (English)”